[kde-linux] Konqueror: "Create new"

Thomas McGuire Thomas.McGuire at gmx.net
Sat Jan 7 20:40:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Saturday 07 January 2006 20:55, Robert Morrison wrote:
> In Konqueror, right-clicking in a directory window
> brings up a dialog with (among other things) a "Create
> new" option. Selecting that option brings up another
> dialog with (among other things) a list of file types:
> e.g. "Text file" and "HTML file". Can anyone tell me:
>
> a) What determines the contents of a file created
> this way? How can I change it?
Look in path_to_kde/share/templates, there is a list of desktop files, for
example TextFile.desktop. That desktop files contains a line which points to
another file which determines the content of the new file
(.source/TextFile.txt).

> b) What is involved in adding a new file type to
> this list?
My guess is adding new desktop & content files to the templates directory,
either in path_to_kde/share/templates for global templates or in
$HOME/.kde/share/templates for user-specific templates. I have not tried that
myself though.

Hope that helps,
Thomas