[kde-linux] KDE 3.5 not finding all the menu entries?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 25 03:07:23 UTC 2006

Rich Gilson wrote:
> I'm running KDE 3.5 on Suse10 from the RPMs that Suse provided.  It
> places all the menu stuff in /opt/kde3/share/applnk
>
> When I install something in Wine, it places a menu link with .desktop
>  file in ~/.kde/share/applnk

This is the way WINE works and this is the correct user directory for
the old type (non-XDG) kde menus.  Windows apps are installed in a
user's account so the menu entries are in the user's menu.

> Why isn't KDE finding that and adding it to the menu?

This is a good question to which I don't have the answer.  KDE should
automatically find 'desktop' files in $HOME/.kde/share/applnk.  Check
the file permissions; the 'desktop' files need to be readable by the
user account.

> Also, is there a way to get KDE to update the menus without having to
>  logout and log back in?

Open a Konsole and run:

	kbuildsycoca

> Also, I noticed that if I delete something from the menu using
> kmenuedit, it doesn't delete the assiciated file in the applnk
> directory.

The KDE Menu editor ONLY modifies a user's menus, it does not delete or
modify anything in the global menu directories.

> Is there a way to have it delete those files?

Have your system administrator delete them by hand. :-D

> On the other hand, if you accidentally removed something from the
> menu, how can you get KDE to start using those .desktop files again?

That is why KDE doesn't delete them.  You would have to reinstall the
package containing the 'desktop' file to restore it.  So, don't modify
the global menu files unless you want the job of system administrator.

--
JRT