[kde-linux] How to reset your KDE desktop

Stephen CS Howe showe at fabsurplus.com
Fri Feb 24 23:23:23 UTC 2006

having my desktop background backed up along with my 3-time zone clocks
setup does not really make me loose much sleep....it takes about 2
minutes to go through setting it up again (and again...and again..and
again..z.zzzz). However, I thought the whole point of a computer was to
avoid meaningless and repetitive tasks wasn't it ?

So, as Paul says, if anyone can give me a bit more insight on this other
than telling me to back up ( which I do anyway ermmm well i did one how
long ago was it erm....), it would be much appreciated....

On Friday 24 February 2006 07:20, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> On Friday 24 February 2006 07:15, Stephen CS Howe wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I looked around on the web but could not find any reference to this
> > topic anywhere.
> > Ovr the last few years, I have had numerous experiences in which ,
after
> > some system crash, I can login to the login screen of my
distribution
> > (Febora, various versions), but, then when i try to login as my
normal
> > user, during KDE initialization , the desktop freezes , the system
> > completely locks up, and a manual reset of the computer is necessary
> > unlock the computer.
> >
> > The only method I have found to recover from this problem is then to
> > proceed as follows:-
> >
> > 1. Login as root
> > 2. Delete the directory .kde in the /home/"username"/ directory.
> > 3. When you login again as "username" the desktop works again.
> >
> > What I want to know from you brainy folks is the following:
> > 1. Is there some kind of log that would tell me what component of
kde
> > has broken ?
> > 2. Is there a better way of unblocking my desktop ?
> > The above method works, but , of course, you loose all your desktop
> > settings.
> >
> > Thanks for any replies !
>
> Make a backup of your .kde directory and when you have to delete it,
you
> can restore your old settings by renaming the backup to ~/.kde
> Paul

While I see the merit of backing up your data, I believe this approach
is
hardly what Stephen was looking for.

In addition, if, instead of trying to solve the underlying problem, you
take
this approach, well....  let's just say you're not exactly offering a
compelling arguement for moving from Windows to Linux, are you?

I guess all I'm saying is that when people ask questions like this
because
they've lost all their setting, they're hardly in the mood for
wise-cracks.
It would be more constructive for them and the community as a whole, if
you
could help them identify the problem so that it can be logged for the
developers to finda way to fix it and, therefore, make a better and more
stable product the whole community could be proud of.
--
-- In a world without fences, who needs Gates?