[kde-linux] How to reset your KDE desktop

Stephen CS Howe sdisemi at tin.it
Fri Feb 24 12:15:51 UTC 2006

Dear All,

I looked around on the web but could not find any reference to this
topic anywhere.
Ovr the last few years, I have had numerous experiences in which , after
some system crash, I can login to the login screen of my distribution
(Febora, various versions), but, then when i try to login as my normal
user, during KDE initialization , the desktop freezes , the system
completely locks up, and a manual reset of the computer is necessary to
unlock the computer.

The only method I have found to recover from this problem is then to
proceed as follows:-

1. Login as root
2. Delete the directory .kde in the /home/"username"/ directory.
3. When you login again as "username" the desktop works again.

What I want to know from you brainy folks is the following:
1. Is there some kind of log that would tell me what component of kde
has broken ?
2. Is there a better way of unblocking my desktop ?
The above method works, but , of course, you loose all your desktop
settings.

Thanks for any replies !