[kde-linux] Kprinter and OpenOffice

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 19:04:40 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 17:49, Bram Schoenmakers wrote:
> Op donderdag 23 februari 2006 11:19, schreef Anne Wilson:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Is it possible to make OpenOffice work with kprinter?
>
> Yes, you can. Go to the Printer Manager (to be found in your K Menu, AFAICS
> not reachable from OOo itself). If you open the properties of a printer
> (for example "Generic Printer", you can enter the print command. You can
> just fill in "kprinter" to print with the KDE dialog.

I should have added that this is complicated by the fact that printing is done
on a remote server.  I tried setting it up this way on the server, but using
the kde print setup I could not see how to make it samba-shareable.  I tried
Fedora's system-config-printer, but that creates a printer with a driver
matched to the hardware, and there is no way that I can see of making that
accept a pseudo-printer.

> All PostScript data
> will be piped to the kprinter application.
>
> (Of course, this trick works with Firefox or any other non-KDE-app as well)

I have long used this method for Mozilla, Firefox etc. simply replacing the
moz printer command with 'kprinter'.  It works well.  I wish I could see how
it can be made to work with OOo.