[kde-linux] Problem running 3.5.1 on Knoppix 4.0.2

Don Rozenberg don.rozenberg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 03:32:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am running Knoppix 4.0.2 and wanted to build PyKDE which requires the
KDE include files which I could not find on my system so I tried
building 3.5.1 using konstruck. I did "cd meta/kde" followed by "make
install".  It ground away for some time then completed with no error
messages.

I then added the following to my .bashrc file:

export QTDIR=~/kde3.5.1
export KDEDIR=~/kde3.5.1
export KDEDIRS=~/kde3.5.1

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/kde3.5.1/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=~/kde3.5.1/bin:$PATH
export KDEHOME=~/.kdetest

The first thing that I notice is that when I try running
gnome-control-center, I get the following error:

gnome-control-center: symbol lookup error:
/usr/local/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_intern_static_string

suggesting something wrong with a library created in ~/kde3.5.1!

I then tried starting the new kde by logging out and then logging in
again but got the old version of kde.  Next, I tried logging out and
logging in at a console session and finally giving the command
"startkde".  At that point I get into a look getting messages:

Kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server.

I would very much appreciate suggestions as to how I might proceed to
get a working version of the new KDE version.

Thanks in Advance,
Don
--
Don Rozenberg