[kde-linux] artsd memory/swap creep

Richard Pace rpace at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 16 14:28:21 UTC 2006

Hi:
SuSE 9.3 with KDE 3.5.0 level 'a' with 384MB real and 768MB Swap file.

The majority of the times when I've had to unexpectedly boot have been related
to the swap file being used completely and the system goes into thrashing
mode - a lot of disk I/O and not much can be done.

I usually keep KsysGuard up and I noticed the last time this happened, artsd
seemed to have an unusually large VmSize - I don't remember the exact number
now.

So now I watch the VmSize in KsysGuard.  Anytime I see artsd usage get large,
say 200MB (I assume KsysGuard reports in KB units), I restart artsd from the
KDE control center.  That bumps the artsd VmSize usage down to around 10Mb
and frees up a lot of SWAP space.

It seems each time a sound notification arrives, say from KMAIL or KOPETE, the
artsd VmSize increases (also VmRss) monotonically - never goes back down
until I restart artsd ("never" might be too strong - sometimes the number
backs off a little, but most of the time not).  So I restart artsd about
every 3-4 days.

Anyone notice this behavior?  and/or has this been reported before?
--
Regards,
Richard