[kde-linux] kicker problem

Ernie Schroder schroder at ntplx.net
Wed Feb 15 13:27:36 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 10:55, a tiny voice compelled Dr. Philipp
Walderdorff to write:
> I am running Fedora Core 3 with the KDE whih came with FC3, dont know the
> Version, because do not know how to find it out without kicker.
>
> Since a while I get the "bomb" after closing KDE, telling me, there was a
> problem with kicker.
>
> Now when I logg in with KDE the kicker does not start.
> I can start my programms with Alt F2, but do not see the kicker.
>
> When I enter "kicker" in a terminal-window the error comes:
>

> [erwin at philipp ~]$ kicker
> [erwin at philipp ~]$ terminate called after throwing an instance of
> 'std::bad_alloc'
>   what():  St9bad_alloc
> kicker: crashHandler called
> KCrash: Application 'kicker' crashing...
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
>   what():  St9bad_alloc
>
> How can I solve the problem?
>
> I tried to update kde with  yum update kde but this was obviasly wrong. As
> well I triede yum update kicker, as well wrong.
>
> Thanks for Help
> Philipp

The first thing I'd try is to
rename  /home/<username>/.kde3.5/share/config/kickerrc
to kickerrc.old and restart KDE. Your kicker should come up as it did when you
first installed KDE.(without any personal settings) At that point, you can
customise your kicker how you like it and delete kickerrc.old, or compare the
new kickerrc and kickerrc.old to try to locate the reason for your problems.
Let us know if this does not work, but it should.

--
Regards, Ernie