[kde-linux] kcontrol -> panels -> appearance tab missing!

Jason Mancini jayrusman at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 8 00:00:48 UTC 2006

Okay, I've narrowed this down to a bug in "install-menu" I think.

Doing this:

update-menus -v --stdout > ~/menus.txt
# edit ~/menus.txt and remove everything but kicker_config_appearance
/etc/menu-methods/xdg-desktop-entry-spec-apps < ~/menus.txt
/etc/menu-methods/simplified/simplified-xdg-desktop-entry-spec-apps <
~/menus.txt

causes the missing kicker_config_appearance.desktop files to be generated!

So the question is, why aren't they generated when part of the larger list?
Given
that the "menu" package isn't KDE specific, now I'm on the wrong list...

-Jason

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Jason Mancini" <jayrusman at hotmail.com>

I upgraded two Mandriva computers, and *one* was left without an
"Appearance" tab on the Panels configuration.  Running the
command "kcmshell kicker_config" shows an error message like
"the module could not be found and thus was not loaded".
It's driving me nuts!  I've tracked it down to a file named
kicker_config_appearance.desktop that seems to be missing
in /var/lib/menu-xdg and ~/.local/... but I can't figure out how
it is generated from /usr/lib/menu/kdebase-kicker_config_appearance.
Google shows very few others have had this problem for several
months now, with no solutions listed.

What is the magic?!  The two computers have the *exact* same
rpm versions installed!

-Jason