[kde-linux] How do I set the default sound card?

Ronny Standtke Ronny.Standtke at gmx.net
Sat Dec 30 16:53:18 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have a normal desktop PC with an on-board soundcard, a webcam and an USB
headset for IP telephony that runs Debian testing. All three are detected as
soundcards:
$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
                      Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1980 at 0xeb000000, irq 217
 1 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset
                      Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:1d.0-2,
full speed
 2 [U0x46d0x8ce    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x8ce
                      USB Device 0x46d:0x8ce at usb-0000:00:1d.7-4, high speed

Sometimes I unplug the headset and/or the webcam to use the USB port for
something else, e.g. an USB flash-memory stick.

The problem is, that the order of these devices is not static between reboots.
This way KDE sometimes uses the headset for sound output. Sometimes KDE even
tries to use the webcam as sound output even though it only has a microphone
and gives me an error message at startup that it can not open the sound
device.

So, how do I configure KDE to always use the on-board soundcard!?

Greetings

Ronny