[kde-linux] KDE screensaver and monitor blanking

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 09:45:10 UTC 2006

On 22.12.2006 13:48, Dale wrote:
> > on a more serious note: if you have access through ssh from another
> > computer you could "sneak" in and check with top or ps what's going on.
> > Or just use a blank screen for a a scre     ensaver.
> > Or... make a little script that grep's for you screensaver in the process
> > list:
> >
> > #! /bin/bash
> > while test 1 = 1; do
> >   date +%Y%m%d-%T >> ps.log
> >   ps -A | grep -i [name of your screensaver] >> ps.log
> >   sleep 10
> > done
> >
> > (I'm not sure if the script would be working out-of-the-box, most likely
> > you will have to finetune it).
>
> I don't have a way to ssh in right now but that is a good idea though.
> I may just do a blank screen saver, for now.  Maybe when I get one of my
> other three rigs up and running, I can try the ssh idea.  I network them
> all through here anyway.  Just sort of reverse the idea.
>
> Me no good with bash, unless it is a crawling bug.  LOL

What Andreas proposed to do with bash does not require you to use ssh. As far
as bash scripting is concerned, you can jus copy-paste the script he wrote
into a new file, save it and change its permissions as following:
$ chmod a+x <name of script>

Then run it and leave it running long enough for the screensaver to kick in
and the monitor to switch off. (Modify the timeouts so that you don't wait
too long). After that exit the screensaver, kill the logger with:

$ killall <name of script>

and read the log it has printed in the file ps.log in the directory where you
started the script.

--
Blade hails you...

The nightwish I sent you centuries ago