[kde-linux] forcing new non-KDE windows to a size

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Dec 13 14:08:16 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 07:17, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 05:00, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Monday 11 December 2006 19:44, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > > I use Netscape 7.2 in a 640x1200 (minus my launchbar height) window.
> > > Somewhere along the way, some site I went to popped up a full-screen
> > > window, and ever since, whenever I open a new Netscape window with
> > > Ctrl-N I get a full-screen window, when before I'd get a window of the
> > > same size as the original. I fiddled with the Special Window Settings
> > > and Special Application Settings, but all I could do was make _every_
> > > window, whether through Ctrl-N or a site-generated popup, open at the
> > > size I specified.
> > >
> > > I want Ctrl-N to give me a new window with the size I like, and all
> > > other (popup) windows, to stay at whatever they're told to be. How can
> > > I do that?
> >
> > I guess the best option is to reset the behavior of netscape. Probably a
> > setting in its preferences or stored in the netscape configuration file.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> What use are the Special {Window, Application} Settings feature then?

Well, as you said it affects Netscape windows regardless how they are opened.
Since only the program itself, in this case Netscape, knows why it opened a
window, it is the only one which can control this difference.

> Netscape doesn't have any window-size settings.

Your description sounded like it does, i.e. changing the behavior once a
window got maximized by a site.

If there is no override policy on the window manager's side, the window will
always be the size the application wants it to be.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring