[kde-linux] KDE and Homedirs on network share.

Jiří Červenka cervenka at sps-pi.cz
Tue Dec 12 16:53:03 UTC 2006

Hello,
I use pam_winbind for authetification a pam_mount (cifs) for mounting
homedirs stored on w2k3 file server.
Homedir /home/user1 is mounted from \\server\users\user1
Everything seems to work fine until I try to start KDE.
When I run startx I receive this error:

Could not read network conection list
/home/username/.DCOPserver_u116-0xl__0
please check if dcopserver is running

Dcopserver is running
Then the xserver shutdown and I see this:

xset: bad font path element (#77), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
Error: Can not create link from "/home/testov/.kde/tmp-u116-0xl" to
"/tmp/kde-testov"
Error: Can not create link from "/home/testov/.kde/tmp-u116-0xl" to
"/tmp/kde-testov4gt9h3"
Error: Can not create link from "/home/testov/.kde/cache-u116-0xl" to
"/var/tmp/kdecache-testov"
Error: Can not create link from "/home/testov/.kde/cache-u116-0xl" to
"/var/tmp/kdecache-testovHDYsy3"
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit: Aborting. bind() failed: : Operation not permitted
Could not bind to socket '/home/testov/.kde/socket-u116-0xl/kdeinit__0'
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
kdeinit: Aborting. bind() failed: : Operation not permitted
Could not bind to socket '/home/testov/.kde/socket-u116-0xl/kdeinit__0'
Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.
ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
startkde: Shutting down...
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

Can someone give me a hint where could be the problem a what should I do
to allow my network users to run KDE ?
I think that all problems mentioned above arise because cifs do not
support symlinks.
Is it posible to make KDE not to create symlinks in homedirs?
Or is it possible to have only one configuration for all users on computer?

Thanks for help