[kde-linux] Kmail

John Andersen jsa at pen.homeip.net
Sat Dec 2 06:41:19 UTC 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 17:11, Gerald wrote:
> Hi To All,
> Is there a way to backup all Kmail info.
> This is important to me as i have had 3 250GB hard disk die recently and
> only having an image of ./kde/share on a re-writable CD helped.
> There must be a better and quicker way than this.
> Many thanks,
> Gezza

Well, yes an automated backup is a great idea. Get a tape drive
and install it, (almost any scsi model will work).

OR,

Consider that the price of hard drives is really low these days.
Perhaps you should thing about software raid-1 (mirroring) for /home.

You really don't need to raid up any of the os itself, you can always
reinstall that, but your /home is hard to replace.

Software raid allows you to use any disks you have or which
you can buy and mirror them.  You can even mirror dissimilar
drives (SCSI or IDE or SATA), which you can't do with
a hardware raid controller.

The neet thing is you can buy two different drives, so that
the likelyhood of both failing at the same time is minimal
and put /home on a raid for the price of a couple drives
and its cheaper than the tape drive.

Then all you have to worry about is someone stealing
your machine.

--
John Andersen