[kde-linux] Trying to build a Help Search Index in KDE

Gary L. Greene Jr. greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Sun Aug 27 04:41:14 UTC 2006

On Saturday 26 August 2006 23:22, Drachen Birch wrote:
> Hello.
>
>      I have an ancient, 500 MHz Compaq running Slackware 10.2, and KDE
> 3.4.2 (bundled with the Slack distro).  When I press the button to build
> a Help search index so that the KDE Help can actually help, I get this
> message:
>
>      INDEXDIR: /home/drak/.kde/share/apps/khelpcenter/index/
> FINDCMD: find /opt/kde/share/doc/HTML/en/ -name index.docbook
> Creating index for 'kde_application_manuals'
> htdig failed
>
>      On the screen with the "build index" button, opposite the checkbox
> for the Help application manuals, it says: "missing".
> Is it possible that the distro simply didn't load the help files?  Would
> any distro builder be that mental?  Or does this happen all the time?
> As you may have guessed, I'm a newbie, CLI skills very rudimentary, and
> patience wearing thin.  I assume that htdig is one of the zillion or so
> tiny programs within the OS?  I have run across a few posts on the KDE
> site and elsewhere that quote exactly the same error message, on other
> distros and on Slack.  Unfortunately, the discussions of how to fix the
> problem were old, and sufficiently complex as to blow my little newbie
> doors off.  One guy that already knew a dozen programming languages was
> talking about having to learn yet another in order to kluge a fix for
> the problem.  Problem was never solved on that thread.  Problem was
> declared "unconfirmed" on the KDE site thread (also old).  If
> confirmation is really needed, I apparently can re-create this problem
> reliably and infinitely.  Any ideas?  Thanks!
>

> -drak

First, I have to give apologies to any folks on this list that are Slack
users. Now that that's out of the way...

Drak, I hate to say it but if you're not comfortable with the command line in
some way, Slackware is NOT the distribution for you, as it is far more unixy
than many of the other distributions. It along with Gentoo and others of
their ilk are not very suitable for beginning users of GNU/Linux. I would
really recommend checking out Kubuntu, OpenSuSE, Mandrake, or PCLinuxOS.