[kde-linux] KMail 1.9.1 Flaws

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Sat Aug 26 19:48:39 UTC 2006

On 26 Aug 2006, at 08:48 , Steve Evans wrote:

> On Saturday 26 August 2006 15:49, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
>>
>> Steve, Jan, Justion,
>>
>> I gather from your responses that I may have omitted a key point.  I
>> performed an "in-situ" upgrade from SuSE Linux 10.0 to 10.1.  During
>> the upgrade, .kde/share/config/kmailrc was changed to incorporate new
>> features.
>>
>> When I first opened KMail after the upgrade, the folder panel
>> correctly showed the two IMAP servers that I use:  an IMAP account on
>> my site's local mail server and an IMAP account on a corporate
>> Microsoft Exchange server.  What was missing were all of my mail
>> folders that were maintained on the local IMAP mail server.
>>
>> Using the Settings>Configure KMail>Accounts>Modify, I couldn't find
>> any options that would allow me to set the path to my mail folders
>> for the account on the local IMAP mail server.  Where I recall that
>> there had been a Advanced button or box where I could set the path,
>> there were a group of boxes for "name space".
>>

> The imap server should know where the mail is stored, you don't
> need to
> specify a path to it in kmail. For example the config file
> (/etc/courier-imap/imapd) for my courier imap server contains:
>
> MAILDIR=.maildir
> MAILDIRPATH=.maildir
>
> These are all relative to the users home account, so my mail
> appears in
> ~/.maildir.
>
> kmail then talks to the server to access the email rather than looking
> directly at it on disk.
>
> Is your imap server running?

Yes.  KMail has no problem with accessing {INBOX} which is stored in /
var/mail/mcc on the IMAP server.  The problem is only with my
personal mail folders that are stored in a subdirectory of my
personal account on the server, /userfiles/mcc/Mail.

I know that the location of my personal directory might look a little
strange to some but the directory structure on the system was
established 25 years ago.  The original PDP11/45 running BSD 2.4
disappeared long ago.  All that remains is the directory structure.  :)

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net