[kde-linux] KDE 3.5.4 fonts look horrible

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Fri Aug 25 11:29:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 22:11 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 06/08/09 09:07 (GMT+1000) Rod Butcher apparently typed:
>
> > I've just compiled KDE 3.5.4 on my new whizzbang AMD x86_64 box.
> > Everything is great except fonts which are lousy (they look thin and
> > unhealthy). I remember a long time ago when this happened I had to
> > re-install 2 components - 1 was fontconfig, I can't remember what the
> > other was. Any suggestions ?
>
> I don't know the answer, but this thread might be useful:
>
> I've read elsewhere that in kcontrol disabling anti-aliasing and then
> re-enabling it sometimes helps.
I finally got fonts looking OK with KDE. I went right back to the start
and rebuilt QT3. I found that it wasn't building openGL. I went to the
opengl.org website and found that libGL,so and libGLU.so had to reside
in /usr/lib. I then found that Mandrake puts libGLU.so
in /usr/X11R6/lib. Seems like QT can't find it and doesn't link to it. I
moved libGLU,so to /usr/lib and rebuilt QT with openGL and recompiled
KDE. And I now have fonts that look healthy.
So... now I'm wondering what connection openGL has with fonts - I
thought fontconfig and Xft were what mattered. So maybe I also corrected
something else without realising it ?