[kde-linux] Nis multiple computers one home

Jim Wirtz jwirtz at flamingoseismic.com
Thu Aug 24 16:39:51 UTC 2006

Our network consist of several Linux machine of with
various versions of linux installed. Newer/older mandrake
redhat mainly. We also have Sun's and SGI's. One of the
Sun/solaris machines is a NIS server for all machines
and serves has the "auto home" directory for everyone.
Which causes the problem, all the machines want to use
.kde for their configuration. There are different versions
of KDE on the machines. We use VNC to connect to the
different Linux machines and use KDE for our desktops.

I've set KDEHOME to be .kde$HOSTNAME and it does create
a new directory but the directory does not contain all the
default setups? What am I missing?  What do I need to do
to setup KDE so that it will create a completely separate
.kdehostname for each linux box in my/our home directory and
make a clean full default install of the .kde configuration?

I hope this is a little clearer than mud.

Thanks for the help

Jim