[kde-linux] what to do after upgrade?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Aug 22 21:27:42 UTC 2006

On 06/08/22 13:06 (GMT-0600) Jerome Yuzyk apparently typed:

> This might be a real dopey question but lately I've been running at
> initlevel 5 and never had to consider this before:

> After I do a yum update of KDE, like I just did to get from 3.5.3 to 3.5.4,
> should I

>   1. reboot
>   2. log out and back in again
>   3. just keep going
>   4. something else

> ?

> I have pretty much all kde* rpms installed except language packs, so there
> were over a dozen rpms applied.

Linux doesn't need rebooting except to start using a new kernel. Logging
out with most distros won't restart all of X, which is what you need to
do (4). If you're not using a Debian distro, a logout and then drop to
runlevel 3 and then back to 5 will fix you up. '/etc/init.d/xdm restart'
should also get the job done. There are other ways.
--
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time
we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."	Galatians 6:9 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409