[kde-linux] Mechanism that mounts USB flashdrives

Bogus Zaba bogzab at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 12 08:55:47 UTC 2006

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> I have been having some trouble mounting flash drives under KDE on some
> computers.  My desktop boxes nicely pop up a "USB Stick" Icon when I
> insert a USB memory stick, but my HP Pavilion laptop doesn't.  They both
> have:
>
> Fedora Core 4 with latest updates.
> 2.6.17 Kernel
> KDE 3.5.3
>
> The USB stick does get recognized by the kernel according to
> /var/log/messages and I can manually mount it but no USB Stick Icon
> appears on the desktop as it does on my Desktop machines.
>
> I would like to understand the mechanism that does this whole thing.  I
> presume its a HAL function that passes the information to some KDE
> daemon but I'm not sure. Where are the config files that define where
> the mount point is located, where the file for the Icon is located, etc.
>   From start to finish I would like to understand the whole process if
> anyone is patient enough to clue me in or point me to a FAQ somewhere
> that explains how it all works under KDE.
>
> Thank you very much
>
> Doug Phillipson

Although there were a number of replies to this posting, none of them
pointed us "understanding the whole process from start to finish" which
is where I would also like to be. Generally it is working OK now for me
under Suse 10.1 and KDE 3.5.1 and I am pleased that a "Safe Remove"
option has been implemented for these devices. However I still get
glitches (eg devices mounted with an owner who is not me and root not
being able to change owner!) which make me want to understand how the
various system components are interacting and where it is best to try
and address problems. Anybody know where the FAQs, Howtos etc are to be
found?

Bogus