[kde-linux] How to reconnect KDE to sound when it is crashed

Philipp Neudecker phneudecker at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 6 20:52:43 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

Since I upgraded from RedHat 9 to FC4 I have a strange
problem: After a while my sound driver appears to
crash. I am not sure why, it happens especially with
RealPlayer or Mplayer-plug-in in the SeaMonkey 1.0.3
browser.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to recover the
ability of KDE to use the sound module w/o logout.

Curiously, the "Soundcard Detection" works fine:
"The following audio device was detected:
Vedor: Ensoniq
Model: 5880 Audio PC
Module: snd-ens1371"
I can hear the test sound, and the dection starts the
processes:
artsshell status
/usr/bin/esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 47

Also, KsCD plays CDs fine. However, when I try to
enable and test the sound in the KDE Control Center
sound dialogue, the Control Center crashes, as does
SeaMonkey whenever I hit a website with ads on it.
I cannot hear the sound played for the Shell system
bell. Often the KDE logout also hangs.

Any idea what the problem is? Any device still busy?
How can I find out and where can I look for error
messages?

Most importantly:
Can anyone tell me which processes to kill and restart
and in which order to get things back up manually? I
cannot always log out...

Thanks a lot,
Philipp