[kde-linux] Display problem on Mandriva Linux, startkde won't start

Amaral, Meisi (Cont, ARL/SLAD) meisi.amaral at us.army.mil
Wed Aug 2 15:27:55 UTC 2006

Hi, Anne:
Thank you for the tips. Your assumption is right. I am actually managing
to launch Mandriva, just not in GUI.

I see lilo at boot time, I tried hit Esc, then type "linux noapic
noapic", it shows GUI Mandriva Linux logo then crashed with "Xset:
unable to open display".

I tried as root type "export DISPLAY=":0.0", then echo $DISPLAY shows
":0.0". When I type "startkde" is still complain
Startkde:starting up....
Xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0',
startkde shutting down,
klauncher:exiting on signal 1,
startkde:Done.

XFDrake didn't work either.

One the same system I have windows XP on it and it works fine on
display. My monitor is plug & play monitor, I have two Display adapters
128MB ATI RADEON x600SE. Maybe I shouldn't set it to :0.0, but I don't
know what else to set.

Any suggestion will be great help, Thanks,

Meisi