[kde-linux] Problems with some Chinese characters

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Apr 11 01:08:15 UTC 2006

Hello,

In konsole and other kde applications some problems with certain Chinese
characters seems to have crept in when running with LANG=en_US.UTF-8.

Using 钉 as an example...

In konsole on RHELv4 (konsole 1.4.1) 钉 can only be displayed when the
Large or Huge fonts are selected or if certain custom fonts/sizes are
selected.  Not ideal...but workable.

In konsole of Fedora C5 I could not find any combination of settings,
short of changing my LANG settings, to display 钉 and other characters.

The same holds true for the konsole supplied in SuSE 10.  I can't boot
that system at the moment so I don't know the versions.

Does anyone know what the problems are?  Are they distribution related
or....?

FWIW, the application "mlterm" (multilingual terminal) works find under
KDE as well as gnome-terminal under both gnome and KDE.

--
Do not clog intellect's sluices with bits of knowledge of questionable uses.