[kde-linux] Issues between KDE 3.5.2 and xorg7

Peter Humphrey prh at gotadsl.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 14:21:32 UTC 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 01:07, Paulo J. Matos wrote:

> Before upgrading to xorg7 I'd like to know if there are any known
> issues between xorg7 and KDE 3.5.2. Has anyone had any compatibility
> problem ?

Yes, I did have a problem. I already had xorg v7 installed when the upgrade
of KDE from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2 came in. It wrecked my system. At first it
looked as though reinstalling libexpat would fix the problem, but several
revdep-rebuilds later, each involving several hundred remerges, I was no
further forward.

In the end I decided to make a clean start; installing both those packages
from scratch enabled the system to build itself properly and I haven't had
any more problem with it. Well, until base-layout was upgraded this
morning, wrecking networking, but that's another story.

It's possible that upgrading X after KDE would work ok, but the other way
around certainly didn't for me.

--
Rgds
Peter.

PS. I expect Duncan would say that I ought to have packages lying around for
a quick recovery, but I haven't tried that approach yet.