[kde-linux] Problem with File Manager (SU mode)

Bram Schoenmakers bramschoenmakers at kde.nl
Wed Apr 5 07:08:28 UTC 2006

Op woensdag 05 april 2006 04:33, schreef Thomas Taylor:

Hi Thomas and John,

> Problem:
>
> File Manager (Konqueror) in SU mode is trying to open folders with a text
> editor (Kate) instead of diving into the sub-folders.
>
> History:
>
> I have Parkinson's disease and have poor control of the mouse.  I'm
> assuming that I either  hit the wrong button or moved the mouse when I hit
> a button. Things were working correctly after I installed FC5 (final) last
> month and for about a week thereafter.  Then I noticed the above behavior
> and have not been able to correct it since.
>
> I've searched google and the Konqueror config files but haven't found
> anything yet.  I could, of course, just re-install it but then I wouldn't
> learn what I had done in case I do it again.
>
> Anyone have a pointer where to look?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Go to the Konqueror settings (in root in Thomas' case), select Configure
Konqueror and then at the left: File Associations.
In the treeview you see, pick 'inode' and then 'directory' (you might do the
same for 'directory-locked' as well). I think you will see some strange
applications appear at the right. Remove those.

In the second tab, Embedding, make sure the option 'Use settings for inode
group' is selected (or 'Show file in embedded viewer') and that items like
Icon View, MultiColumn View, etc. are on top of the list. If not, you should
move them there or add them to the list if they are missing.

That should solve the described problem.

Kind regards,

--
Bram Schoenmakers
KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
  (Punch, 1855)