[kde-linux] crontab

susing my.suselinux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 15:59:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 01:51:42 +0800, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Monday 26 September 2005 14:06, neha gupta wrote:
>> I am using crontab daemon to give me a reminder message on some particular
>> times.
>> But it always mails me the message and shows the line "You have new mail"
>> in the terminal window,.
>> Rather than getting a mail I want to redirect the output to a new pop up
>> window but crontab does not seem to be able to redirect the output to a new
>> window
>
> You could use DCOP (via the commandline tool dcop) and theKDE notification
> service KNotify
>
> For example
> dcop knotify Notify notify "" "" "Message text" "" "" 2 0
>
> When using from the cron job you have to add the --user parameter
>
> dcop --user username ....
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

  Hi Kevin, I added it to my crontab:

  susing at susing:~> crontab -l
   55 23 * * * dcop --user susing knotify Notify notify "" "" "Time To Sleep" "" "" 2 0
   04 23 * * * echo "test" > /home/susing/crontabtest
  susing at susing:~>

  but looks like the first line does not take effect. What I'm doing wrong? The cron daemon is running because the second line succeeded.

  I manually run 'dcop --user susing knotify Notify notify "" "" "Time To Sleep" "" "" 2 0' in the Konsole and it does pop up the desired notification window.

  Thanks for your help.

--
Cheers