[kde-linux] Unmounting USB Key (not root)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 16:13:15 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 27 Sep 2005 15:58, James White wrote:

> Now I cannot believe that the developers took it THIS FAR but then
> forgot to make a way to set the permissions to unmount the device.

James, I am running Mandriva Club 2005LE with kernel 2.6.11-12.  I'm not
sure whether it was the kernel update, or the fact that the Club
edition had a later version of hal and/or udev, but at that point it
began to work as you want.  I have kde set to display an icon for a
mounted removable device but not an unmounted one.  A right-click on
the desktop icon gives me a 'safely remove' message, and the icon
disappears.  The device is unmounted and can be removed.

I think maybe your problem will disappear with a version update.  HTH

Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org