[kde-linux] Unmounting USB Key (not root)

James White james at resolutionit.ca
Tue Sep 27 14:58:51 UTC 2005

On September 27, 2005 10:30 am, Gary Greene wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 September 2005 08:36 am, James White wrote:
> > On September 27, 2005 08:32 am, Ryan Nisly wrote:
> > > whats wrong with using the "su" command?
> > >
> > > su
> > > umount /dev/WonderKey1
> >
> > If I had a giant cross I would hold it before me to ward off your
> > evil!!!! Give the root password to the users?!?!!!?
> > ....where's my stake...I have some evil to kill here.
>
> Though you COULD do that same thing with sudo. Just configure it to work
> only for select commands and to use their password, not root's.

These are certainly some valid answers.  And are, in fact, the way I tend to
handle it myself.

But the reason I am using KDE for my clients is that they do not have to KNOW
how to use the terminal.  They don't care and it certainly seems as though
they cannot learn ;-) (but I love them anyhow).

So this is why the whole "famd-hald-ivman" thing is so appealing.  It is 99.8%
of the way to a complete no-brainer usb-key plugging in and out system.

Now I cannot believe that the developers took it THIS FAR but then forgot to
make a way to set the permissions to unmount the device.

It seems far more likely that there is a tiny little setting somewhere that I
have not yet discovered.

Otherwise, I'll just write them a script.

--
James White
GpP: DB56 8EF6

If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this
information:
 http://rate.affero.net/frozenJim/ResolutionIT.ca/