[kde-linux] Music under KDE 3.4

Dan Maday danmaday at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 19:02:52 UTC 2005

Actually the answer was in the Fedora Core 4 release notes. I quote:

"If you wish to add MP3 support to XMMS the Fedora Core 3 version of xmms-mp3 will work for now until the FC4 version is available. Go to http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/3/xmms/ and download (save to disk) xmms-mp3-1.2.10-9.1.1.fc3.fr.i386.rpm. "

I have no idea how this fixes the license/patent issues but I did it what they said and now my music plays.

Dan Maday

J Hall <jhall at kde.org> wrote:
Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

>Last time I checked, Fedora ships without MP3 codecs because of
>license/patent issues. I don't know where to get them... but I'm sure the
>question has come up before on the Fedora list.

Yes, fedora has in recent times shipped without MP3 support. It used to
be that the livna yum repository was the place to get mp3 plugins for
the various media players. There is documentation on their page
explaining how to install their software.

http://rpm.livna.org/

Regards,

J Hall