[kde-linux] kde 3.1

Dave Nebinger dnebinger at joat.com
Tue Sep 13 01:50:07 UTC 2005

If it's an IDE-based drive, it will show up as /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc,
or /dev/hdd depending upon whether it is the primary master (hda), primary
slave (hdb), secondary master (hdc), or secondary slave (hdd).

If it is SCSI-based, then it will show up as /dev/sdXY, where X represents a
device and B represents the partition on the device (if it is partitioned;
primarilly look for /dev/sdX).

If it is USB-based, well then it's a different story all together.  You need
to know if he's running devfs or udev before we can tell you where to look
to see if it is available.

Long story short - the device manager from the windows world doesn't exist
in the linux world - we operate at a much lower level.

Try to provide info such as the kernel version he's running, the GUI that
might be available (I'm going to assume that if you're posting to the KDE
list that he's running KDE), and even whether he's used the zip drive before
(if he has, he probably knows how to mount it for you).

Dave