[kde-linux] Setting Konqueror File Manager Defaults

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at CATO.GD-AIS.COM
Fri Sep 9 16:39:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 16:15 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 09 Sep 2005 15:41, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
> > The discussion of mimicing Windows behaviour triggeered a couple of
> > questions about where to change the Konqueror File Manager defaults.
> >
> > I would like file manager to:
> >
> >    (1)  Always open the file manager using the detail view.
>
> Doesn't it open in whichever view you left it?

No.  However, your response triggered a memory.  I needed to save the
current view profile.

> >    (2)	Not underline the file name (when enabled you can't tell if the
> > 	file name contains underscores or embedded spaces.)
>
> kcontrol > Components > File Manager > Appearance > uncheck Underline
> filenames
>
> >    (3)	Suppress the File Type column.
> >
> View > Show Details > Hide File Type

Thanks.  It's extremely obvious once pointed out. :)

> > On an unrelated issue, does anyone know how to get KMail or Evolution to
> > display the mail timestamp using a 24 hour clock and display the date
> > using YYYY-MM-DD format.  I really dislike the date being replaced by
> > "Today", "Yesterday", "Wed", etc.
> >
> View > Headers > Long Headers

Obviously, I wasn't very clear in my aside.  As background, I have been
using Pine as my MUA for almost 15 years.  I do not have an account on
our corporate Exchange server but Pine would allow me to use LDAP to
look up mail addresses on the Exchange server.  The old Exchange 5.5
servers are being retired.  You now need to query a Active Directory
domain controller for mail addresses.

Pine doesn't seem to know how to query the domain controller.  I am
looking at KMail and Evolution as possible replacements for Pine.  I
favour Evolution as it allows me to select the mail folders that are
displayed in the left-hand navigation menu.  KMail wants to list all of
the folders and files in my home directory on my IMAP server.

It appears that KMail, Evolution, and the mail application on a Mac OS X
laptop use the same engine for accessing the IMAP server and generating
the message list.  It's the date format in the message list that I want
to change.  The date format seems to be defined in some XML file and I
have not found where this can be changed.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:                          vcard
VERSION:                        3.0