[kde-linux] windows media player for kde ?

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Wed Sep 7 02:31:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 22:31 -0400, SnapafunFrank wrote:
> Rod Butcher wrote:
>
> >I've just installed Mandrake / KDE for a friend who got tired of Win$
> >viruses.. he is happy apart from not being able to listen to his
> >favourite radio station which uses wm 7.. is there anything i can
> >install for him to play this ?
> >thanks
> >Rod

> try:
> # urpmi mplayer

Thanks Frank and John, I've got mplayer to play the wm audio stream OK
but only from a terminal command line. The radio station webpage =
http://www.702.co.za/onair/tunein/tunein.asp ... but there is all sorts
of javascript there which checks first for the wm player, and dies... I
couldn't get the mplayer gui to run ether.
I finally got it to play by looking at the html code in the page, found
that the streaming URL is mms://196.35.64.36/702_16?WMThinning=0 and ran
mplayer in a terminal :-
mplayer mms://196.35.64.36/702_16?WMThinning=0
This is obviously too complicated to do every time - have users got
mplayer to play streaming wm audio direct from websites without fiddling
around ?
thanks
Rod