[kde-linux] windows media player for kde ?

John Layt john at layt.net
Tue Sep 6 23:42:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:13, Rod Butcher wrote:
> I've just installed Mandrake / KDE for a friend who got tired of Win$
> viruses.. he is happy apart from not being able to listen to his
> favourite radio station which uses wm 7.. is there anything i can
> install for him to play this ?
> thanks
> Rod

Using Mandrake you need the PLF (Penguin Liberation Front) which provides
RPM's of things that Mandrake can't include for fear of getting sued, or
specially compiled versions of Mandrake packages with options turned on which
Mandrake must turn off.

Visit http://easyurpmi.zarb.plf and follow the instructions to add online
repositories for contrib, plf-free and plf-nonfree (and updates and main of
you don't already have them). Just make sure you define the correct release
of Mandrake (10.0, 10.1, 2005LE, etc).

Now when you go into Mandrakes Software Installer, you will have a lot more
available software to install, some 10,000 packages last time I checked, your
friend will enjoy poking around to find what's good.

For playing WM you need to install the win32-codecs and mplayer packages from
PLF.  For integration into the Konqueror browser, install kplayer or kmplayer
(I forget which is better these days).  While there, install Xine, Kaffeine,
real-codec, libcss, libdvdcss2, libdvdread, libdvdnav, libdvdcontrol and
libdvdplay, which will give you full DVD playing capability and Real Media
support.

For more info, I recommend the Mandrake Community Wiki at
http://mandriva.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/WebHome and the Newbie mailing list