[kde-linux] konqueror and davfs2

Guido Guenther agx at sigxcpu.org
Thu Sep 1 07:14:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 08:13:13PM +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Guido,
>
> > This kio slaves has some data available quiet quickly but I wonder why
> > konqueror doesn't dislplay an (even incomplete) directory listing at
> > this time. I think people with e.g. slow nfs links must have the same
> > problem but I couldn't find any references so far...
>
> Maybe the IO slave is still busy listing and can't transmit data yet.
>
> Would be interesting to know if Konqueror is waiting for the slave to send
> data or of the data is already in Kqonueror but not being displayed.
Well there are actually several things going on:
1) konqueror asks koi slave for directory dir
2) kio_file stats every file to find file permissions
3) data is given back to konqueror
4) konqueror stats every file again to find it's mime type
5) konqueror calls access(2) on every file, dunno why atm.

I hacked around 2 and 4 but since there is still a access call to every
file left it's still slow. Any idea, what causes 5)? I'm currently
looking into writing my own kio slave for certain dirs, will see if this
helps.
Cheers,
 -- Guido