[kde-linux] Configuring Sun specific keys.

Particulle particulle at yahoo.fr
Wed Oct 19 20:25:31 UTC 2005

> At work, I use KDE with a Sun French keyboard. The main problem I have
> is that the 10 keys on letf side of the keyboard (and the ones I really
> need such as Copy, Paste, Front, Open) do not work nor in application
> (firefox, thunderbird, ...) neither in terminal windows.
> Does anybody have an idea on how to configure this keybord for these
> keys to work.

Hi, salut,
Perhaps you can try to modify /etc/X11/XF86Config (XF86Config-4 if
debian). All is explain in /etc/X11/xkb (xkb is about keyboard in kde).
The idea is to write exactly the model of your keyboard in the file
XF86Config. The models for Sun are described in /etc/X11/rule/sun.lst
To understand how to make this change, read the documentation in
/etc/X11/xkb/README.conf (surtout this one). You'll see something like
this :

2.1  Basic Configuration

Let's say you want to configure a PC-style American keyboard with 104
keys as described in xorg.lst. This can be done by simply writing
several lines from below to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf configuration file
(previously known as /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/X11/XF86Config):

      Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier "Keyboard1"
          Driver "kbd"

          Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
          Option "XkbLayout" "us"
          Option "XKbOptions" ""
      EndSection

The values of XkbModel and XkbLayout are really not surprising.
XkbOptions has been explicitly set to the empty value. The parameter
XkbVariant has been left out. That means the default variant named basic
is loaded.

Of course, this can also be done at runtime using utility setxkbmap. The
shell command loading the same keyboard mapping would look like:

      setxkbmap -rules xorg -model pc104 -layout us -option ""

The configuration and the shell command would be very analogous for most
other layouts (internationalized mappings).

2.2  Advanced Configuration

You can use multi-layouts xkb configuration.  What does it mean?
Basically it allows to load up to four different keyboard layouts at a
time. Each such layout would reside in its own group. The groups (unlike
complete keyboard remapping) can be switched very fast from one to
another by a combination of keys.

Let's say you want to configure your new Logitech cordless desktop
keyboard, you intend to use three different layouts at the same time -
US, Czech and German (in this order), and that you are used to the
Alt-Shift combination for switching among them.

Then the configuration snippet could look like this:

      Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier "Keyboard1"
          Driver "kbd"

          Option "XkbModel" "logicordless"
          Option "XkbLayout" "us,cz,de"
          Option "XKbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
      EndSection

Of course, this can also be done at runtime using utility setxkbmap. The
shell command loading the same keyboard mapping would look like:

      setxkbmap -rules xorg -model logicordless -layout "us,cz,de" \
                -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle"

2.3  Even More Advanced Configuration....

a+
Particulinux