[kde-linux] KDM Theme Selector

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Oct 17 03:31:32 UTC 2005

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Steven Pasternak wrote:

> > Hi! I have been using kde for a while now, and noticed that recently
> > (starting with Mandriva 2005), distributors have been using KDM themes.
> > In the config files, you can edit this, but in the kcontrol module, you
> > can't. Shouldn't somebody write a theme selector for kdm (similar to gdm)?

> Not having used Mandriva, I'm not certain what you are talking about.

> In the Control Center you can choose:

>         KDM background image
>         Logo
>         GUI Style
>         Color scheme

> Does a theme contain more than these four things?

In /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc in section [X-*-Greeter] is "UseTheme=", which
SuSE & Mandriva (and IIRC Fedora) have taken to setting to on. This
makes changes in kcontrol regarding appearance in the kdm login manager
ineffective until changed to off. With theming on, kdm looks more like
Gnome than KDE. I'd like to see something in kcontrol that selects
between on and off for UseTheme=.
--
"Be quick to listen, slow to speak."                James 1:19 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/