[kde-linux] KDE programs gradually fail during sessions

John O'Hagan johnohagan at iprimus.com.au
Fri Oct 7 16:46:03 UTC 2005

Hi all,

A strange annoyance: during KDE sessions (3.3.2, Debian testing), I recently
find that various KDE programs begin to load slower and slower, till they
won't start at all. It usually begins with kwrite being unlaunchable from a
root konqueror, then spreads to other programs and services, for example the
print manager, until at last even konqueror will not start. It doesn't seem
to affect non-KDE programs.

The initial error messages say "kdeinit could not launch [program]".

At first restarting X fixes it; then not; eventually X will not restart,
complaining about DCOPserver and/or ICEauthority; I must then either reboot
or, if that doesn't fix it, log in to a console and remove ~.DCOPserver* and
sometimes ~.ICEauthority as well.

I have noticed that the ownerships on these files are sometimes wrong.

I have seen similar problems posted before, but have not found a permanent
solution yet.

(It may be relevant that I recently suffered some filesystem corruption caused
by a bad suspend; it is possible that some files may have gone missing during
the fsck repair process.)

Does anyone know what causes this and how to prevent it?

Thanks,

John O'Hagan