[kde-linux] Slow panel / taskbar behaviour in KDE 3.4.2

Paul Gargan pgargan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 18:14:32 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm running KDE 3.4.2 as shipped with Fedora Core 4 : KDE.3.4.2-0.fc4.1

My machine is a 3GHz P4 with HT enabled, 1GB RAM, /home mounted from NFS.

The panel / pager area periodically becomes very slow to respond. It's
not a constant problem, it tends to vary during the day. When it
occurs, using the mouse to change desktops using the desktop pager
(either by clicking, or rolling the mouse scroll wheel) takes a
noticeable amount of time to respond. Ctrl-Tab, however, always
changes desktop instantly, but it still takes the panel a noticeable
amount of time to update the list of open windows on the taskbar.

My previous KDE desktop was a 3.1 release on much slower hardware, and
I never had this problem.

Has anyone any ideas what could be causing it?

Kind regards,
Paul.