[kde-linux] INVALID PARTITION TABLE-

GLI 405 gli405 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 14:15:51 UTC 2005

hello
I installed suse 9.3 on my 120GB hard disk, among installation lilo bootloader coud not rite to MBR and after installation Only my WinXP(NTFS Partition)  booted my PC so I think suse installer could not write to MBR so I boot installed suse from Cd and tried to fix bootloader problem by changing Bootloader from Lilo to grub. I changed it but no change in boot.
when I look carfully at bootloader config in Yast I saw partition which is try to write MBR is /hda/null.
any way I changed all bootloader settings in Yast-bootloadersettings and When I restart my pc this error appears "INVALI PARTITION TABLE".
and from then I only can boot installed suse shell by use of its instaling CD . So I try to fix this problem by YAst Bootloader setting so I change bootloader and its setting but it gave me error and then When I restart My PC it Shows INVALID PARTITION TABLE and I found noway to boot it from installed Operating systems on it And now I cant install Any thind on my hard drive.
I check it by Partition magic and It gave me ERROR 113 and suggest me to fix it but after fixixng again it gave this error again.
Please tell me what happend To my harddrive and how can I fix it without lossing my data?

ERROR 113
Partition magic has detected an error 113 on the partition starting at
sector 8803620 on disk 1

this partition overlaps another partition or the end of the disk.
partition magic has determined that the file system can be truncated from x
sectors to XX sectors.
would you like partition magic to fix this error ?

According to the PM7 manual:
#113 Partitions overlap
The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values. If data partitions overlap,
writing to one may destroy data in another.
This error is sometimes the result of an OS/2 FDISK bug. If free space exists
within the extended partition, OS/2’s FDISK program allows a primary partition
to be created that overlaps the extended partition. A logical partition is
subsequently created in the space occupied by the overlapping primary partition.
If a primary partition overlaps the end of the extended partition but does not
overlap any logical partitions within the extended partition, the problem can be
remedied by patching the partition table. Only qualified individuals should
attempt this repair! An incorrect patch could destroy all data on the hard
disk!