[kde-linux] Kaffeine Mozilla Plugin

Bogus Zaba bogzab at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 07:41:20 UTC 2005

Steven Pasternak wrote:

>Pollywog wrote:
>

>>On 11/09/2005 08:59 pm, Steven Pasternak wrote:
>>

>>>Hi! I use konqueror as a browser, with Mandriva 2006. I want to be able
>>>to play video from inside konqueror, and kaffeine mozilla plugin is
>>>starting to get old (last update was May of 2004). Is it any good?
>>>Mandriva comes with kaffeine, but not the plugin. I don't want to use
>>>crossover/wine, as it is kind of unstable. Are there any other decent
>>>video players (xine or gstreamer compatible) that can be used under a
>>>mozilla (compatible) browser? I don't want to use the real/helix plugin,
>>>because it doesn't support wmv, which xine does. Thanks!
>>>

>>Have you tried the MPlayer-Plugin for Mozilla?  I don't use Mandriva, I use
>>Xandros and the plugin also works for Konqueror and Opera.
>>
>>http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>This is the same thing I use but in Xandros it is called mozilla-mplayer.
>>

>>8)
>>

>Stupid me!! Kaffeine 0.7 automatically embeds iteself in konqueror! I
>forgot to check that! Thanks for the mplayer tip, though.
>-Steven

I have trouble with the Kaffeine-Mozilla as noted below. I posted the
text below on a kaffeine user group but have had no response.
Essentially I am asking how do you get both real format and other format
streaming video/audio to work within your mozilla-compatible browser
under recent Suse/KDE releases?

My post:
Sorry if this has been replied to many times previously. Couldn't find
it in recent archive posts.

I am running Firefox 1.0.7 within KDE 3.4.2 and Suse 9.2. My kaffeine
installation is 0.7.1.

If I do not install the kaffeine-mozilla plugin I can view my favourite
real format (bbc.co.uk) streaming services using the real player 10
plugin. I *cannot* view other (non-real) streaming format like .wmv,
.wma, .mov etc, which I why I would like to get the kaffeine plugin working.

If I do install the kaffeine-mozilla plugin, then it tries and fails to
take over real streaming functionality (puts up a black screen area with
"start kaffeine plugin" and then error message boxes about failure to
load cook.so.6.0).

Stand-alone kaffeine (not the browser plug-in) works fine for all media
types I have thrown at it, having installed the windows codecs according
to kaffeine faqs.

Bogus