[kde-linux] Konqueror has outdated information about group membership

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Wed Nov 9 02:46:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

Here's my problem. I have an application that creates Linux groups and adds
users to them. But applications like Konqueror and Nautilus are not aware that
 the user has been added to the group until the entire KDE session is
restarted.  Users are denied access to directories that they SHOULD be able to
access.

In contrast, if the same user connects to the same system by ssh (thus
starting a new session) he/she CAN access the group's resources -- because the  new
ssh session "knows" that the user is a member of the group.

In Mandrake 10 (KDE 3.2) I also used to be able to make an icon on the
desktop that would run:

su  john --login  command="nautilus". John would be prompted for  a password,
and when he gave his correct password, a NEW Nautilus  window would open that
KNEW john was permitted access to any directory that was  owned by any group
of which he was a member, even if that group had just been  created.

So for example,  let's say an administrator with "group creation  authority"
created a new group called "writers" and new directory called  "essays" that
was owned by "theboss" and the new group called  "writers".  Let's also say
that "writers" group had write permission on the  "essays" directory, and that
john was made a member of "writers".

If john just opened up Konqueror on his desktop, john would NOT be  permitted
write access to the "essays" directory because THAT instance of  Konqueror
wouldn't know that john had been added to the writers group.

But by starting a new Konsole session under the name of john and launching
Konqueror from there, john WOULD be able to have write access to the "essays"
directory.

Unfortunately, in Mandrake 10.2 (KDE 3.3), this trick no longer works. I'm
wondering if there is a way to get this trick to work again?

Andy Liebman