[kde-linux] imap over kmail

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Tue Nov 1 12:35:46 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, 1. November 2005 00:09 schrieb Luke Campagnola:
> I meant that an IMAP server should be just like any other mail client in
> the sense that kmail and a local IMAP server would both be reading and
> writing from ~/Mail. I understand this is not the "proper" way to use an
> IMAP server, but it would be the best solution for me if it worked.

can you explain, why this would be best ?
as said, it is generally a bad idea, to have more than one program/server
access your mail at file system level concurrently, although it has been
confirmed to work at least partially.

> Just
> the same as if I were using kmail and mutt to read from my local mail
> folder,

this is another example on how NOT to do it, the kmail developers have
disencouraged from that several times in the past, as mutt will mess up the
index files kmail relies on.

> kmail and an IMAP server should be able to simultaneously pull from
> the same maildir repository at the same time. The problem with this (and
> the reason I chose to post to this list) is that the IMAP servers do not
> seem to understand the format of the maildir stored by kmail. I had assumed
> there was one standard maildir specification, but this does not appear to
> be the case.

there are at least knowndifferences in index files, yes.
the main question is still unanswered:
why would you want to access your mails at file system level via kmail if you
have already an imap server running ??
there is really no sense in that.
just setup kmail to use your imap-server and you're done.

werner