[kde-linux] "What is life" (george harrison): my kid was helped 2 b an Eagle Scout by these men:::include their families in your prayers

Mike mike at wtfu.com
Thu Jul 28 03:07:16 UTC 2005

He's in the Coast Guard now. Tom, that is.
From the ANchorage Daily news:
Bitzer grew up in Sacramento and came to Alaska in 1975 to work, splitting his
time between California and Alaska until the couple moved up for good in
1982, Karen Bitzer said.
For years they owned a cabin resort in the Denali area. Bitzer worked as the
chief of appeals for the state Oil and Gas Division, his wife said. He also
had a real estate license. He retired at 50, then worked two years as a
scouting official in South Anchorage and helped it grow, Haines said.
The Bitzers own a home in Truckee and were preparing to move there to be
closer to their sons. "Now I don't know what we're going to do," she said.
Shibe had four teenage sons including the twins with him at Jamboree.
But to the troops he mentored, it was like he had 20 boys. "He took in all of
us," said Regan Pfleiger, 18.
Shibe's family extended beyond Kris, his wife of 23 years, and their boys to a
close-knit community built around the Gloria Dei Lutheran Church.
He was a Dimond High graduate who had worked for ACS since 1983. He most
recently was a statewide dispatch foreman.
Pfleiger, best friends with Shibe's son Neil, remembers how cautious Mike
Shibe was when it come to electricity. He always warned the boys not to dig
in the yard until they knew where the power lines were, Pfleiger said.
"Mike worked with power lines for as long as I know,'' Pfleiger said. "He's
always been so safe."
On Wednesday 27 July 2005 03:23 pm, Jim Philips wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 July 2005 09:57 pm, Jim Philips wrote:

> > > Slackware current uses ALSA and unless you're loaded the OSS emulation
> > > drivers you wont get a /dev/dsp at all. It's far better to tell KDE to
> > > use ALSA instead - go to Kcontrol -> Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System
> > > and change the audio device on the 'Hardware' tab to read 'ALSA'
> >
> > That definitely makes the messages about /dev/dsp go away. Then I get
> > this:
> >
> > device: default can't be opened for playback (no such file or directory)
> >
> > And if I run alsamixer, I get:
> >
> > alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> > directory
>
> Okay. I figured it out. I looked through dmesg and found messages about
> module incompaibilities. I rebuilt modules and re-installed them and
> everything works now.

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic."
		-- "The Doomsday Machine", when asked if he had heard of
		   the idea of a doomsday machine.
"I'm a doctor, not an escalator."
		-- "Friday's Child", when asked to help the very pregnant
		   Ellen up a steep incline.
"I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer."
		-- Devil in the Dark", when asked to patch up the Horta.
"I'm a doctor, not an engineer."
		-- "Mirror, Mirror", when asked by Scotty for help in
		   Engineering aboard the ISS Enterprise.
"I'm a doctor, not a coalminer."
		-- "The Empath", on being beneath the surface of Minara 2.
"I'm a surgeon, not a psychiatrist."
		-- "City on the Edge of Forever", on Edith Keeler's remark
		   that Kirk talked strangely.
"I'm no magician, Spock, just an old country doctor."
		-- "The Deadly Years", to Spock while trying to cure the
		   aging effects of the rogue comet near Gamma Hydra 4.
"What am I, a doctor or a moonshuttle conductor?"
		-- "The Corbomite Maneuver", when Kirk rushed off from a
		   physical exam to answer the alert.