[kde-linux] kmenu and kcontrol are empty!

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 21 06:33:55 UTC 2005

Fabricio Gava de A. Jorge wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer escreveu:
>

>>Fabricio Gava de A. Jorge wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>I installed KDE 3.4.1 from source on Linux From Scratch, it is running
>>>ok, except for kmenu and kcontrol. These are empty. I installed KDE
>>>following the documentation, installed arts, kdelibs, kdebase, kdeadmin,
>>>kdenetwork, kdemultimedia, kdegraphics, kdeutils, kdeartwork, kdeaddons
>>>and kde-i18n-ptBR. I ran kbuildsycoca and it gave me no errors, but the
>>>problem remains. No programs from the installed kde packages are on the
>>>menu, but I installed separately Kvirc, and its icon appers on kmenu.
>>>Kmenuedit can be opened only from terminal, and when opened it shows
>>>some folders, but all empty and in english (the default is portuguese).
>>>I opened kcontrol from terminal, and I could see:
>>>WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
>>>Defaulting to Settings
>>>
>>>but I don't know if there is any relation with the problem.
>>>All users have this problems, even root.
>>>Other programs like Konqueror and Kate, seem to work properly.
>>>

>>You need to do a little system administration the first time you install
>>KDE on LFS.
>>
>>You need to set some environment variables:
>>
>>	KDEDIR=<where you installed KDE>
>>	KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde
>>	PATH="$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH"
>>
>>	QTDIR=<where you installed Qt>
>>	MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
>>	PATH="$QTDIR/bin:$PATH"
>>
>>Normally on Linux, you would do this in two profile.d scripts.
>>
>>Then you might need to configure the PATH set by KDM in the file:
>>
>>	$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
>>

> Hi,
> Those environment variables were set, except KDEHOME, that I set on
> /etc/profile, but the problem remains. :-/

OK, so it wasn't the easy problem.  It appears that it isn't finding the
menu files.

There is a file: "applications.menu" that must be in one of these two
places:

	$KDEDIR/etc/xdg/menus/
	/etc/xdg/menus/

And there are two directories: "applications" & "desktop-directories"
which should be in:

	$KDEDIR/share/

This stuff all needs to be world readable.

--
JRT