[kde-linux] Request Speculation

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jul 17 06:10:43 UTC 2005

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. wrote:
> SuSE9.3/KDE3.4.0 Level "b"
>
> I find that the cursor disappears from my desktop at seemingly random times.
> The only way that I have found to restore the cursor is CTRL-ALT-Backspace
> followed by restarting KDE.
>
> The desktop had been running without this problem since 4/22/05.  It just
> started a few days ago.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this behavior and found a solution?

You might have a hardware issue with your mouse.  A broken cord would be
a possibility.

However, if the mouse is accidentally unplugged the mouse cursor
shouldn't disappear from the screen.  IAC, when this happens switch to a
virtual console <Ctrl><Alt><F1> and then back to the X session
<Ctrl><Alt><F7> and see if that fixes the problem.

X doesn't run the mouse driver as a separate process so you can't check
that, but you might want to see if 'gpm' is still running.

--
JRT