[kde-linux] Choice of RealAudio plugin and application in Konqueror

John Hunt john.kde at yoredale.uklinux.net
Thu Jul 14 18:22:37 UTC 2005

I have some difficulty getting RealAudio streams to play successfully in
Konqueror. (Mandriva 2005LE, KDE 3.3.2, Konqueror 3.3.2)

1. If I visit
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/makinghistory ,
the audio plays as a plugin, apparently using kaffeine.  Unfortunately
konqueror invariably crashes afterwards, so I want to get it to use a
different plugin, nphelix.so, in the hope that it will no longer crash.
The konqueror plugin config already shows nphelix.so is available.
(nphelix.so works well in firefox.)

How do I get konqueror to use the nphelix.so plugin?

2. Alternatively, how could I get the stream to open in a standalone
application (eg kaffeine) instead of as a plugin?  (That is what konqueror
3.2 did in Mdk 10.0, and I like that behaviour.)

3. If I visit
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/rams/humanalien.ram ,
the stream plays successfully in kaffeine.

How could I get this to play in eg helixplayer instead?

 Thanks
...John
  John Hunt, Stokesley, N Yorks, UK, http://www.yoredale.uklinux.net/