[kde-linux] tcl/tk window popup issue

john_ozarchuk at goodyear.com john_ozarchuk at goodyear.com
Mon Jul 11 12:09:47 UTC 2005

We are running KDE3.2.1 in our production environment (provided with Novell's SLES9 operating system), and are currently on hold with
our migration due to an issue with popup windows.  Per our developers, here is the problem:

Default tcl/tk behavoir is for a newly created toplevel or "popup" widget to be displayed by the window manager above other windows,
regardless of the raised/lowered status of the parent window.  Our observation of the behavoir of tcl/tk widgets on the KWIN window
manager under KDE 3.2.1 is that the widgets' parent must be raised for the child widget to be raised, or, failing that, the software
developer has to implement an explicit raise command in the popup widget, which is not required on other window managers.  This
undesirable behavoir is observed for both user-defined applications as well as standard toplevel widget library functions, and in the
latter case, it is not desirable to change the behavoir of the widgets which come with the tcl/tk installed library. This behavoir is
not exhibited running on the Metacity window manager which installed in place of KWIN on the same machine, nor on any of our UNIX
operating systems, going back years.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or a resolution, short of upgrading KDE to 3.4?  Will KDE 3.4 even resolve this?

Thanks,

John