[kde-linux] K3B and DVDs?

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Wed Dec 28 23:11:05 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 17:35, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 12/28/05, Dennis Veatch <dveatch at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> > > I do not know, but since k3b is NOT a reliable program, I suggest that
> > > you use the command line:
> > >
> > > http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html
> >
> > Hmm. I think you are *way* off base with that remark and the problems
> > noted in this thread are strictly related to the distros being used. K3b
> > *is* a reliable program and works just fine here burning DVDs. In fact I
> > cannot remember that last time k3b made a coaster of either CDs or DVDs
> > or the last time I had a problem with it.
> >
> > It makes no difference to k3b which /dev growisofs uses so long as
> > /dev/blah points to the correct device. Since in this thread it was
> > reported  /media/cdrom1 is busy, then obviously you have to find who has
> > that device mounted.
> >
> > If you are using hal that is another area you should explore,
> > particularly the *.fdi files and even possibly /etc/fstab if you are not
> > using pmount. All those items are distro specific. As such you might want
> > to visit your distros forums for the particulars.
>
> After having lost consecutively six DVD disks with k3b, my logical
> side became foggy... :-) Yeah, you are right: the problem may be
> distribution specific, in my case Fedora Core 4. And yes, I use hal...
> And yes, I posed the problem on Fedora list, but no solution has
> emerged.
>
> Paul

Well I don't run FC4 and haven't touched a Redhat product in ages so I'm
useless there, for the most part.

One thing to try is run up k3b, then run mount and see who all is mounted. If
something about /media/cdrom1 shows up that might give a clue. Afaik, k3b
does not or shouldn't mount anything unit the burn is actually started. I
think that's the key here.

It doesn't sound like a permissions issue so on that front hal imho is a
non-player, I think. Maybe there are one to many entries in /etc/fstab for
that device? Dunno if that would have anything to do with it.

--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.