[kde-linux] K3B and DVDs?

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Wed Dec 28 22:21:26 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 15:34, Paul Smith wrote:
> [...]
.
.
big snip
.
.
> > > I have had a similar problem here on Fedora Core 4. I suspect that the
> > > problem is caused by the fact that growisofs uses /dev/hdd instead of
> > > /dev/dvd.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do about that as a test ??
>
> I do not know, but since k3b is NOT a reliable program, I suggest that
> you use the command line:
>
> http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html
>
> Paul

Hmm. I think you are *way* off base with that remark and the problems noted in
this thread are strictly related to the distros being used. K3b *is* a
reliable program and works just fine here burning DVDs. In fact I cannot
remember that last time k3b made a coaster of either CDs or DVDs or the last
time I had a problem with it.

It makes no difference to k3b which /dev growisofs uses so long as /dev/blah
points to the correct device. Since in this thread it was
reported  /media/cdrom1 is busy, then obviously you have to find who has that
device mounted.

If you are using hal that is another area you should explore, particularly the
*.fdi files and even possibly /etc/fstab if you are not using pmount. All
those items are distro specific. As such you might want to visit your distros
forums for the particulars.

--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.