[kde-linux] arts and alsa

kunt1z kunt1z_2 at tiscali.it
Thu Dec 15 03:38:31 UTC 2005

Hi guys! This is my first post in this mailing list, so I'm a little
embarassed... ;-)
I've got a question: I use ALSA as sound system and all works. But if I
start ARTS system the following error appears:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

So, from kde sound system control center, I choose the tab "Hardware"
and select an audio device different from ALSA: it only works with OSS.
But when ARTS with OSS is running, some application such as mplayer or
sounds in web pages doesn't work anymore because the device /dev/dsp is
busy. AAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
So the equation is:

(ARTS & OSS) xor ALSA  ====>  "all kde's sounds" xor "mplayer, sounds in
web pages, ecc..."

And now the big question: can I use ARTS with ALSA? I want something
like this:

ARTS & ALSA ======> all!

Some data will help you:

- debian testing